PROGRAMME COMMENCES ON Saturday, 26th August 2023
ADMISSIONS to SMART LABS 8.0 are now CLOSED
LATE ADMISSIONS - ON-REQUEST BASIS
[Study Material, Video Recordings & tool-kits will be provided to Late Admissions for catching up for the course]
LIMITED SPOTS IN EACH BATCH
FULL PROGRAMME SCHEDULE BELOW
6 MONTH HYBRID PROGRAMME ON COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN
Welcome to the experimental design laboratory
20 X Online Sessions + 6 X Studio Sessions + Critics + Mentoring + 1 End of the Year - Showcase/ Exhibition
+ 1 Global Conference
Evolved & Upgraded Hybrid & Flexible Programme
SMART LABS 8.0
GLOBAL / ONLINE (20 Online Session) +
NEW DELHI (6 Studio Sessions & Exhibition Showcase)
India's First 6-Month Hybrid Programme on Computational Design
OPEN TO DESIGN STUDENTS & PROFESSIONALS GLOBALLY
APPLY FROM ANY PART OF THE WORLD // NO TRAVEL REQUIRED
LATE ADMISSIONS OPEN FOR SMART LABS 8.0
LIMITED SPOTS ONLY
ADMISSIONS CLOSED for SL8.0
Aug 2023 - Feb 2024
20+ Sessions ONLINE
6 Sessions in DELHI
1 EXHIBITION in DELHI
Currently in its seventh year / batch, Smart Labs Programme continues to evolve with changing times with a more comprehensive approach of more online technical sessions, focus on theory of computational design, new software skill-set and a design centric & experimental studio approach.
While the focus remains on distinct modules, namely, ADVANCED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN, DIGITAL FABRICATION, OPTIMIZATION & ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, the studio takes an experimental design approach to nurture design & application skills using Computational Design tools.
With start of pre-admissions to prepare participants well in advance, the studio continues to invite applications from serious enthusiasts of design who seek a future path in the vast domain of Computational Design.
Smart Labs, started in 2017, is currently spread across 6 months with more number of teaching sessions for the fifth iteration to cover a broader perspective on Computational Design.
Experience & Cultural Diversity
Smart Labs has always been envisioned and functioning as a diverse batch with students, professionals, academicians & independent candidates coming from different cities & countries, collaborating and learning together for 6-months. There are different categories such as student category, recent graduates, early career professionals and senior professionals, each of which, have limited number of spots available in each batch. Also, the selection team looks into the aspect of having upto 5 people from a single city (does not usually exceed 5) to ensure there is a cultural diversity to encourage multi-disciplinary and social exchange.
SMART LABS PROGRAMME FOUNDER
SUSHANT VERMA , PROGRAMME DIRECTOR
M.Arch. Em.Tech. – AA London, B.Arch. SSAA New Delhi, MCoA India
Sushant Verma(M.Arch. Em.Tech. – AA London, B.Arch. SSAA New Delhi, MCoA India) is an architect & computational designer, currently leading research organization rat[LAB] - Research in Architecture & Technology. Former architect at Zaha Hadid Architects, London & a Sr. Editor at Arch2O, he has held teaching positions at a number of universities internationally & is involved in education for computation & parametric design. He is the founder of rat[LAB] EDUCATION, which is an independent initiative to spread the idea of computation in design profession & education in India. Recipient of MAK Schindler Award from Vienna / Los Angeles and a finalist for AIA Emerging Leaders Fellowship from Chicago, his work is widely published and exhibited in London, Los Angeles, New York, Tokyo, San Francisco, Taipei, New Delhi,Mumbai among other places.He has been shortlisted in New Delhi among 5 architects for ’20 under 35’ Exhibition at Alliance Francaise de Delhi, featured as iGen 2017 Top 50 Gen-Next Designers in India, tagged as ‘Rising Star’ by Surfaces Reporter India, among other features. Sushant joined the elite list of TEDx Speakers by speaking at TEDxGurugram on ‘Smart Cities need Smarter Design Education’.
As the Seventh Batch of Smart Labs [7.0] progresses towards a successful completion as the Batch of SL7.0 graduates in April 2023, admissions to Smart Labs 8.0 are now OPEN to students & young professionals of architecture / design from all parts of the world. The admission process is through selection criteria based on a 'Statement of Purpose / Interest' and a 10-page (maximum) Portfolio submission.
PLEASE NOTE: The Portfolio may NOT necessarily have works related to Computational/Parametric Design but an interest in the same is an added advantage to your application. The following are the criteria for selection of EIGHTH BATCH - Smart Labs 8.0, starting Aug 2023 and will run for ~6 months, with students graduating in Jan / Feb 2024:
1- Interest / Enthusiasm to learn Computational Design (to be expressed appropriately in your SOP)
2- Current Software Skill-set (We recommend good 3D modelling skills to make the best out of the programme)
3- Previous Academic Work Standard (We do not expect Computational Design work in your academic portfolio - this is a generic requirement)
4- Availability to attend all sessions LIVE / ONLINE.
*Study Material & Tool-kits are provided at the time of admission to prepare well in advance. EARLY ADMISSIONS PREFERRED.
HYBRID PROGRAMME – Evolved & Upgraded:
Smart Labs was started in 2017 with an aim to hybridize design education to make it accessible to a wider audience through leveraging online communication technologies. After successfully running as a hybrid programme with a blend of studio & online sessions, the world was hit by the worst pandemic of our lifetime, making people to adapt to new ways of communication, learning, sharing and evolving. The curriculum of Smart Labs was upgraded in a manner to allow a fully functional studio online, facilitated by physical studio whenever possible to allow social interactions and group learning. We see Smart Labs 7.0 as a blend of Online & Studio sessions with undisrupted education in a comprehensive manner, also allowing our global experts of tutors & mentors to involve themselves in a much evolved way with the participants that come from all parts of the world.
Smart Labs has always been a diverse group with students & professionals learning & working collaboratively from different cities & countries and represents a new global culture of learning.
Due to uncertainties of travels that may persist in future due to Covid-19 pandemic, the curriculum has been redesigned to be flexible for a complete Online engagement. However, studio sessions would still be a part of the curriculum and may be converted to full-day online sessions as per situations, as was successfully done in Smart Labs' previous batches. Smart Labs 7.0 has had the same model and has been running successfully as a hybrid studio.
FUTURE OF DESIGN DISCOURSE:
The last few years of technological revolution (Industry 4.0 & web 3.0) has brought about a new world in front of us. Designers are adapting slowly to this change while still trying to figure out their existence in this new ecosystem that the world of technology is offering. While it may be too early in this era to predict about the exact role of designers, we cannot deny the fact that various professions and domains are adapting to this fast-paced change and architects / designers cannot be left behind. With buzzwords like Metaverse (& Metaverse Architecture!), NFTs & Cryptocurrencies that revolve in the Blockchain, it is very important for designers to take the first step to learn about these emerging technologies & start playing a role. The discourse of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in art & architecture has been sweeping the design industry in unprecedented manner and we are ensuring to include a deeper understanding of AI in Smart Labs curriculum as it evolves and training the participants with appropriate tools and workflows that allow creative as well as technological experimentation to prepare one for the future!
All of this has now been factored & curated into the Smart Labs 8.0 curriculum in the form of talks, interactions, workshops / assignments & design hackathons to provide a foundation for building upon, while the technology is still new, yet evolving quickly. This is an add-on to the existing curriculum /agenda to initiate a new design discourse for Smart Labs.
Key points about Smart Labs 8.0:
- The programme will run on a semester-basis for ~6 months (Phase I & Phase II), starting Aug 2023, through Jan / Feb 2024, when the batch of ~20 students would graduate in a formal ceremony with the opening of Smart Labs Exhibition.
- There will be 6 studio sessions (workshops & reviews, combined), 20+ online sessions (Zoom) culminating in an Exhibition Showcase in 2024.
- In total, there would be about 36 sessions, 10+ Evaluated Assignments, including a Final Design Project, critiques, mentoring sessions, collaborative exercises, technical skill-up sessions & theoretical add-ons spread across 6 months for a comprehensive learning experience.
- Session frequency will be almost 4-7 sessions per month, with most of them scheduled around weekends. [ Check detailed schedule ]
- Students can be a part of any other programme alongside, or even be working alongside the programme due to its flexibility.
- Graduation Certifications will be given at the end of Programme to each student by rat[LAB]EDUCATION.
- The 6-month programme on Computational Design requires students to be attending all sessions and fully commit themselves to an online studio learning throughout the programme.
- Attendance & Assignment Evaluations combine to have an open grading system which cumulates as credits by the end of programme that reflect on Completion Certificates that are awarded on successful completion.
- Live recording of Online Sessions will be provided for future access during the course of the programme, and Studio Session content will be available to the batch through Online Database Platform.
- All sessions of Smart Labs 8.0 would be recorded and made available to all participants with exclusive rights to watch anytime during the duration of the programme.
- All files & scripts developed by the tutors, participants, assignments would be fully accessible to all to encourage open-source learning & knowledge sharing.
- Previous batch data for knowledge-building (Smart Labs 1.0 + 2.0 + 3.0 + 4.0 + 5.0 + 6.0 + 7.0) will also be provided from time to time for an evolved learning experience, so the current batch can evolve and build the knowledge & research carried out by previous batches.
-Early admissions would be provided with Student Tool-kits & Handbooks to prepare well for the programme in advance.
-Student works through the semester would be published in Yearly Books & be a part of Smart Labs Exhibition.
- Admissions would close once all seats are taken up through a continuous admission process. Anyone securing an admission after all spots are taken up, would roll up to Smart Labs 9.0 (Next batch).
- A dedicated team of experts will be a part of Smart Labs 8.0 Team that include Studio Director, Co-ordinators, Tutors, Online Mentors, Exhibition Curators, etc. for a holistic learning experience.
- There are limited number of spots for students, recent graduates, professionals and global students (nationalities other than India).
- Each seat-type will be filled up during a limited number of admission process rounds and early-admission completion would lead to course content distribution to prepare for the programme, well in advance.
- Reading material, practice videos, tutorials as well as 1-to-1 sessions with tutors would be planned BEFORE the start of Introductory session.
- There are 2 components to the fee structure and the fee is to be paid in two parts. (Part A1 + A2 +B1 +B2)
- Part A1: rat[LAB]EDU Programme Curation Instalment 01 :: INR 34,177/-
- Part A2: Institutional & Certification Fee Instalment 01 :: INR 5,610/-
- Part B1: rat[LAB]EDU Programme Curation Instalment 02 :: INR 34,177/-
- Part B2: Institutional & Certification Fee Instalment 02 :: INR 5,610/-
Fee A1+A2 to be paid once shortlisted for the programme.
[Preparation material & student tool-kits would be provided on clearances]
Fee B1 +B2 to be due by 20th Jan 2023.
Total course fee = INR 79,574/-
**Travel and Accommodation is to be borne by individuals. We will assist in finding affordable accommodation in Delhi whenever required. Students can chose to participate in the entire programme ONLINE to cut down on travel costs or for personal convenience.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS / PROFESSIONALS
- International Students can enroll for the programme and avail access to all Online Sessions and preferably the Final Studio Session that culminates in a Public Exhibition.
- All 30+ Sessions will follow the studio workflow, and students will have access to assignments, studio data, course content and recorded sessions.
- International students may also attend any (or all) of the 6 Studio Sessions in Delhi if they can bear the travel costs.
- Letters for visa will be provided by the institution.
FEE A1+A2 = USD 595
FEE B1 +B2 = USD 595
Total course fee = USD 1190
ROUND - I :
[ OPEN TO STUDENTS (Currently pursuing B.Arch. or equivalent programmes) AND RECENT GRADUATES (Graduated in 2021 or 2022)]
Starting 10th March 2023 upto 30th June 2023
* Early admissions will receive course content access for preparation before the programme, including free access to rat[LAB]EDU workshops, webinars, reading material, tutorial guidance & mentoring to get the best out of the programme.
ROUND - II :
[ OPEN TO STUDENTS, RECENT GRADUATES (Graduated in 2021 or 2022) & YOUNG PROFESSIONALS (Graduated in 2019 or 2020)]
Starting 1st July 2023 upto 31st July 2023
ROUND - III :
[ OPEN TO ALL CATEGORIES INCLUDING SENIOR PROFESSIONALS ]
Starting 1st Aug 2023 onward
* Early admissions will receive course content access for preparation before the programme, including access to rat[LAB]EDU workshops, webinars, reading material, tutorial guidance & mentoring to get the best out of the programme.
FOR MORE DETAILS, check www.rat-lab.org/smartlabs
FOR ANY QUERIES, kindly e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with 'SMART LABS 8.0 ADMISSION' as Subject Line.
"EXCELLENCE IN COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN"- AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN TO BEST THREE MERITORIOUS PROJECTS FROM THE STUDIO
Smart Labs 7.0 is designed & curated by rat[LAB]EDU, New Delhi - the academic wing of rat[LAB] Studio; with venue support from School of Art & Architecture, Sushant University, Gurgaon.
Curated like a Master of Architecture Programme in intent & curriculum rigour, Smart Labs 7.0 is a comprehensive learning programme to collaboratively learn Advanced Architectural Design, Digital Fabrication, Performative Design, among other avenues of Computation & Parametric Design.
We have a diverse batch of participants that include absolute beginners to intermediate level designers that work collectively to learn computational design in the programme. The course is structured in a manner to start from basics and student tool-kits are provided well in advance before the start of programme to all participants. The initial phase is to ensure everyone develops basic skills and slowly moves to advanced aspects of computational design.
It is an Integrated Programme to introduce basic, intermediate and advanced computational design techniques,methods, workflows on a 6 month basis.This programme is designed at par with any global school within the domain of computation and is envisioned to fillthe missing gap in the educational curriculum by bridging academia and practice.
This Integrated programme shall focus on inculcating the following assets as a part of syllabus:
-Parametric Design Methods
-Digital Fabrication Techniques and Optimization Strategies
-Environmental Strategies using Computational Design
-Introduction to Structural Optimization & Simulation
-Building Skins and Façade Systems
-Natural Systems & Form-finding
-Other advanced methodologies in Computational Design
-Artificial Intelligence (AI)
COURSE COMPLETION CERTIFICATES WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE END OF THE SEMESTER
Add-ons such as access to Smart Labs Alumni Network, EDU LAB INDIA access, Smart Labs X Opportunities & Smart Design Conference Access would be provided to Smart Labs students that would also lead to recommendation letters for Masters, recruitment references, among other perks.
THEORY | SOFTWARE SKILLS | MENTORING | DESIGN STUDIO | CRITICS | COLLABORATIONS
Schedule for Smart Labs 8.0// FULL SEMESTER
SS- Studio Session
OS- Online Session
*All studio and online sessions are bound to be re-adjusted as per batch decisions in co-ordination with the Studio Director & Academic Co-ordinator, as and when required.
** Online Sessions timings will be confirmed in every preceding session and as per availability of Online Mentors or Tutors.
*** The schedule has the scope to be spread across another few weeks to extend till May 2023, if required.
MODULE A: Advanced Architectural Design
With advent of design technologies and evolving use of Computational Design, architecture has been changing drastically as a profession and also in terms of the geometrical output. This is largely influenced by the tools and techniques that have emerged in last few years that advocate a strong data-driven approach to design, while also allowing architects and designers to think out-of-the-box and create smarter projects. The module looks into inculcating advanced architectural design thinking within students to be able to apply parametric design tools in a smarter way.
SMART LABS 8.0 STUDIO AGENDA
The studio will revolve around the central idea of Computational Design and extend its arms into specific modules focussing on distinct aspects of Design Technology and its application in architecture, design and art. Students will develop their skillset by learning software like Rhinoceros3D, Grasshopper3D, Maya at basic, intermediate and advanced levels in the initial sessions, supported by parallel online sessions & critiques by tutors & global mentors. Currently in its seventh batch, Smart Labs Programme continues to evolve with changing times with a more comprehensive approach of more online technical sessions, focus on theory of computational design, new software skill-set and a design centric & experimental studio approach.
While the focus remains on distinct modules, namely, ADVANCED ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN, DIGITAL FABRICATION, ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, the studio takes an experimental design approach to nurture design & application skills using Computational Design tools.
MODULE B: Digital Fabrication
The module will give an overview of digital fabrication technologies that are relevant to architecture and design. 3D Printing, CNC routing, Laser Cutting, among other emerging technologies will be showcased and demonstrated with specific group tasks and exercises that would involve the usage of such technologies. Students will chose to demonstrate and test out available tools to develop their projects as prototypes and installations for Exhibition.
MODULE C: Artificial Intelligence (AI)
This module will delve into Artificial Intelligence in design and architecture and explore tools and workflows that allow a new-age architectural experimentation to create a novel architectural style and integrate it in project workflows.
Through the final projects that are developed in Smart Labs, all mentioned skills and modules shall be combined in a cohesive learning environment as a part of the evolved pedagogy of the programme.